[OpenIPMap] OpenIPMap mailing list kick-off

Emile Aben emile.aben at ripe.net
Tue Jun 3 11:24:40 CEST 2014

Hi,

First of all: Thanks all for participating/pioneering OpenIPMap. Over
the last week, I've invited interested individuals to give the current
OpenIPMap prototype (pre-beta ...) a test drive and got useful
feedback about usability of the current interface.

In the past week I worked to address these web interface issues and
got some out of the way, most importantly for the interface not be in
the way of inputting information.
The most significant ones that I haven't been able to address yet:
- - ability to remove a measurement from view
- - ability to see/crowdsource all IP addresses/hostnames for a single
measurement in one go
- - autocomplete on entering city-names

These should be addressed, but in the interest of making the most
progress possible on this project, I'm going to switch gears and do
some more infrastructural work.

Here are the next few milestones I'd like to reach (with estimations):
a) Better baseline of geolocation information, by importing existing
infrastructure geoloc datasets (1-2 weeks)
b) Building better interfaces for mass input of information (2 weeks)
c) Moving software to open repository (1-2 weeks)

After a) I'd like volunteers to have a round of testing of the system
again, and see how much this elevated baseline of geolocation data
contributes for you, so we have a better idea what step b) would
actually need to look like.

Step c) will also allow for proper feature tracking/bug reporting etc.

cheers,
Emile

PS: This is the amount of crowdsourced hostnames already in the
system, counted per user:

 count | user_id
     7 |       9
    39 |      16
    98 |      15
   114 |      11
   189 |      10
   309 |      12
  1308 |       3
  4167 |       5

(high numbers are me, I've been using the system longest ;) )