[OpenIPMap] A long-overdue update on the status of openipmap

Sebastian Pesman sebastian.pesman at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 07:36:08 CEST 2014

Some quick thoughts

I think the RTT features are at this point the most helpfull because they
improve the output accuracy. Other features such as visual representation
are things others could change for their purpose. The RTT features can also
be gradually build-in in terms of complexity.

If you do not take the first and last hop into account, then you are
basically left with 'public' router locations. These cities are saved into
the system, doing a count on them gives them a value that could be taken
into account with the suggestions: "well known router locations / internet
exchanges". If the lookup for a hop is not for the first/last one of the
traceroute then the min-latency and the lat/long of the previous hop should
give a radius where the current hop should be in.

Then check the known routerlocations and "popularity" for suggestions. If
none are found, do the PTR name based suggestion.

This could be improved, if the certainty of the next hop is high, that
radius could be used to limit the currents hop possible locations, but that
is for later I think.

Also taking into account that traces of RIPE atlas have a known starting
point and traces to a RIPE probe have a known end-point aswell. Not usefull
for 3rd parties that use OpenIPmap but for the RIPE sources it will help
improving the data.

When this is a public service, this could be abused or mis-used and polute
the data. This is more a security issue, anonymous lookups might not be
allowed to change router locations and registered users are logged to the
system making it traceable. Maybe some sort of reputation system could also
prevent a low reputation from overiding a location set by a (very) high
reputation, option left is then to send a suggestion.

Sebastian