[OpenIPMap] Bringing CAIDA's geoloc efforts into the fold

Sebastian Pesman sebastian.pesman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 11:47:54 CEST 2014

Hello group,

Just something I runned into a couple days ago.

Level3 has normally very good PTR records and leave little room for
mistakes, but it does happen.

PTR for *2001:1900:4:3::2c5*
Resolves to *xe-10-1-0.bar1.Madrid.Level3.net
<http://xe-10-1-0.bar1.Madrid.Level3.net>.*

However, this router is located in Miami, not in Madrid.

Are there any ideas or plans to detect *( like 80% resolved correctly to
IATA / ruleset / other mechanism)* mismatches and to publish lists or send
out notifications or other solutions to inform the PTR holders that there
is an error? I would think that at a certain level you can conclude that a
certain party has the intention to keep correct PTR records and if so, they
probably would like to have these correct as possible thus would be open
for pointing out incorrect records.

Best regards,
Sebastian