[OpenIPMap] Bringing CAIDA's geoloc efforts into the fold

Robert Kisteleki robert at ripe.net
Wed Jun 18 12:07:05 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 2014.06.18. 11:47, Sebastian Pesman wrote:
> Hello group,
>

> Just something I runned into a couple days ago.
>
> Level3 has normally very good PTR records and leave little room for
> mistakes, but it does happen.
>
> PTR for *2001:1900:4:3::2c5*
> Resolves to *xe-10-1-0.bar1.Madrid.Level3.net
> <http://xe-10-1-0.bar1.Madrid.Level3.net>.*
>
> However, this router is located in Miami, not in Madrid.

Such things happen. The intention here is to geolocate IPs, not names, so
once we know where that IP is, we're golden. (Assuming it does not move.)

In this particular case, it'd be really good if you could tag this "name" as
being wherever it really is. It may be even better to have a means of adding
a comment (like "DNS name looks like X but it's wrong, it's really Y"). I
consider that optional.

> Are there any ideas or plans to detect /( like 80% resolved correctly to
> IATA / ruleset / other mechanism)/ mismatches and to publish lists or send
> out notifications or other solutions to inform the PTR holders that there is
> an error? I would think that at a certain level you can conclude that a
> certain party has the intention to keep correct PTR records and if so, they
> probably would like to have these correct as possible thus would be open for
> pointing out incorrect records.

Interesting idea. I could imagine this as a function, though I'm not sure if
this would be more effective than just sending them an email...

> Best regards,
> Sebastian

Regards,
Robert