[OpenIPMap] Update from RIPE69

Emile Aben emile.aben at ripe.net
Fri Nov 7 10:11:35 CET 2014

On 07/11/14 08:03, Sebastian Pesman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In case the traceroute comes from atlas, could we show the location
> of the probe where the trace is started in the traceroute overview?
> It can help

Not at the moment, I only have lat,lon for probes, but shouldn't be
too hard to have that go through a reverse geocoder to get the location.

> hinting where the first few hops must be. And if the trace is to a
> anchor or probe show the location (city) of that. This would not
> appear to be very complex to implement.
>
> Also, for others to use there should be some sort of mechanism that
> they can get updates on a regular interval. I could imagine that
> another service using this data does not want to query openipmap on
> every lookup. Maybe

Bulk data can be downloaded, which could be the basis for offline lookups.
Happy to help out explaining if somebody would want to write that part
of code.

> thinking about if and if so, how others could return updates to
> openipmap, requireing everybody to only enter via Openipmap could
> lead into it being only a good point of start and then being not
> maintained after a while, I'm not aware of how this is done with
> openstreetmap.

I think its the "whenever you see something wrong, fix it"-mentality
that is needed for crowdsourced projects to succeed I think.

As locations for IPs are always changing, something like OpenIPMap
needs to be constantly updated.

> Would love to see some more traces from China and South America as
> there are very few of those in the atlas environment.

Yes, density of probes is elsewhere, but there are probes in China and
South America. Currently if you want to see their traces you'd need to
go to the probe page and see what measurements they are running.
We could think of an interface where you select a probeID instead of a
measurementID as a starting point, and show, say, the latest 10
traceroute results for that specific probe?

cheers,
Emile