[OpenIPMap] A long-overdue update on the status of openipmap

Sebastian Pesman sebastian.pesman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 11:33:30 CEST 2014

Hi,

Having done a few traceroute reviews myself; I like the indicator arrow of
the route direction. Still missing an option to make a comment as some PTR
records are very clear but very wrong, thus I suspect that some routers are
incorrectly corrected. For now I clear them if it's not possible due to
latency / distance but in another route this might not be that obvious and
someone could correct it just on ptr record name.

If something is build that takes the distance between locations into
consideration it should use the lowest ICMP replies from both hops to
calculate if this would be possible.

Also if a hop is within a milisecond from the previous one, it should
suggest the same city instead of something name based. What should I do
now? Give a MSM id or add a screenshot? Ok
MSM id (can't copy it that easy > suggestion.....)  msm:1769731 prb:13843
ts:2014-10-21T08:59:48.000Z

Screenshot here / attached

Point is, within developing this it's often about the data and routes, less
about the visual represenation. A way to link directly to the data of the
traceroute would be helpfull to discuss situations where indentifying
locations is very wrong or could be better. In case of this screenshot hop
9 should be suggested as Vienna Austria instead of Suzhou in China.

Love the project!

Best regards,
Sebastian