[OpenIPMap] Geolocating remote peerings at IXPs

Emile Aben emile.aben at ripe.net
Mon Apr 13 15:45:55 CEST 2015

answering multiple emails inline:

On 13/04/15 15:12, Sebastian Pesman wrote:
> As far as I know;
>
> IP's are individually registerd / saved. It could be that is
> incorrect but then it can be corrected.

Geoloc info is saved based either on hostname or on IP range.
The UI only exposes the hostname-based saving, that's why you can't
geoloc an IP via the UI currently.
It should be relatively simple to add functionality to the UI to save
IP->location info directly. I created a github issue for this, hope to
get to it soon:
https://github.com/emileaben/django-openipmap/issues/10

> What also can happen is that someone uploads an IP range with a
> location, like your situation the assumption that all those IP's
> belong to Ams-ix therefore are geolocated in Amsterdam. If I'm
> correct it's like routing, the more specific information will
> overrule the the less-specific tagging.
>
> Also, I'm not aware of any connections/relations between IX's IP
> blocks and OpenIPmap such as sites as peeringdb do.

I did a manual upload of all the IXP blocks I could find in peeringdb
early on in the project, so that's why you see these, and I also tried
to track major IP-range updates (like AMS-IX renumber).

Having these items periodically checked from peeringdb, but not
overriding crowdsourced information is what I'd want as functionality.

There are more crowdsourced geofeeds that I would like this to happen
for (ixmaps, opengeofeed ...)

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Martin J. Levy <mahtin at mahtin.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Brilliant point; however as the IX is located where the IP
>> address is geolocated and the packet must go thru the location
>> where the IX is located; I'd say the lines aren't that wrong.

Indeed. In the Lyon case, Ideally we'd store 2 locations for this IP
(Lyons and Amsterdam) because we know if we see this IP we know that
the circuit the packet travelled contained both these locations.

I think there are 3 general cases:
a) 1 IP -> 1 location
b) 1 IP -> 2 locations (for when an IP corresponds to a circuit
between 2 locations).
c) 1 IP -> multiple locations. Anycast.

The b) case could actually be a sequence of locations, if you know the
physical path that the circuit takes.

These are indeed tricky to impossible to calculate automatically, but
for the IXP with remote peering an optional second location might be
good to have indeed.

cheers,
Emile